Saturday, October 9, 2010

Chesty Crumb Love...

 It feels like forever since I wrote a blog! I am hiding in my hostel in Granada because it is unbearably hot outside so I thought I would catch up...

The week I spent in Rome was incredible. I was in Rome for about 4 days two years ago and loved it. I was a bit concerned that I wouldn't like it as much this time around because I've been to so many places since...I shouldn't have worried though, I will love that city forever.

It was really nice to just stroll around the streets and not feel the pressure to do any of the touristy things, because I had done them all before! It was also great to walk down a street and think 'I've been here before! The best gelati place in Rome is just down the road...'. Last time I was in Rome our fabulous tour guide, Charlie, took us to an amazing gelateria right near the Pantheon - I have been craving 'Biscotto' gelato ever since. I may or may not have visited that same gelateria every day that I spent in Rome...I then got Bron onto and she went there every day too!

On my second day in Rome I got to meet up with one of my best friends from home, Maddy. It was amazing!



And in a week we meet up with Timo and a couple of weeks after that we get to see Melissa and Zoya AND Jo!

Bron and I went on a tour of The Colosseum and Palatine Hill so that we didn't have to queue for an hour. Our tour guide for The Colosseum was a middle aged Italian man who spoke so quickly you couldn't quite understand him and what you could understand was pretty boring. We were planning to ditch the tour of Palatine Hill and just walk around by ourselves...then Alex appeared...

Alex is right up there with Berlin Adam in the babin' category. He is half Scottish, half Italian. Speaks six languages (Zulu, Swahili, Afrikaans, English, Italian and French) AND he was on America's Next Top Model...How do I know all this about him? I really don't know...but yeah, he was a great tour guide and we really enjoyed strolling around the ruins...




My hostel was moderately awful...it was in a great location, the beds were comfy enough, the showers were clean-ish, it had a fully equipped kitchen - BUT the guy who owned the place was the creepiest little man I have ever met. Why he thought it was okay to say things like "If you don't have a boyfriend, it's free" is beyond me. Eventually he picked up on the fact that I hated him...it was probably the fact that Bron and I would stop talking and glare ferociously whenever he entered the room. *Shudder* I hate that guy! One cool thing about the hostel was that it had a really, really cute old style elevator...





When we were in Berlin with Linda we met a fabulous Canberra girl named Sam. One day in the hostel I bumped into her and her travelling companion, Anneke. They are both terrific girls and Bron and I had the best night sitting on the deck chatting to them. Two highlights of the conversation include me saying "Cesky Krumlov" and Anneke thinking I said "Chest Crumb Love" (hence the title of this blog) and Sam telling us a hilarious story about a German guy trying to pick a girl up by saying "You are a fucking baby!"...which is now possibly my favourite pick up line ever!

One of the coolest things we found in Rome was a shop called 'Castroni'. It was like an international food emporium and it was full of everything you could ever want. Including Vegemite, Twinnings Tea, Rice paper, Vermicelli noodles, sweet chilli sauce and this honey...

In case you cant read that, it says "Timo"...


Bronwyn and I live for food. That shop was our heaven.

That's about it for Rome. Here are some more pictures...


Bron loves the Fiat's...and she even matches this one!

We thought this was the ugliest sculpture ever. It looks like a pink lollipop, a blue cactus and a tempura prawn! I have no idea what it's meant to be...

Cute elephant obelisk!

And again...
Love to you all!

<3 Courtney <3

No comments:

Post a Comment