Monday, September 20, 2010

Bohemia...

Situated right in the middle of the Bohemia region of the Czech Republic is the city of Prague. Since 1992, Prague has been on the list of UNESCO World Heritage sites and it's not hard to understand why.

All of the places we have been so far have been beautiful, but Prague really is in a league of its own. Some one told me that when walking around Prague you'll be tempted to look at your feet (because the paving can be quite hazardous) but that you must ignore this temptation and look up! They were right. The buildings in Prague are all gorgeous, but I suck at describing architecture, so here are some pictures...







The walking tour we did was not the best, our guide was an ex school teacher and you could really tell...she was also just really boring... BUT we did get to see most of the sites. The Old Town Square is quite lovely. We saw three wedding parties getting photos outside the church and were informed that most people don't actually get married there...they just come for the photos. Weird, right? We spent a bit of time shopping in Wesceslas Square. As in Good King Wenceslas...I had the Christmas carol stuck in my head for a good portion of my time in Prague and also really wanted to watch Love Actually!

King Charles Bridge is pretty, but full of tourists all the time! So there was quite a bit of pushing and shoving involved in crossing it. I hiked up to Prague Castle as well, it was pretty cool. The cathedral was especially beautiful.

The food in Prague was really tasty and cheap, which was great. We went to an incredible vegetarian restaurant that had been recommended by Linda...it was probably the best meal I've had in the past 5 weeks. If you ever go to Prague, go to 'Clear head'!

More cool pictures from Prague...

The horses wear hats! So cute...










I have no idea what this is, I just stumbled upon it and thought it was cool...
 
Prague Castle...

Yesterday I got a bus to the small town of Cesky Krumlov. Most people haven't heard of little Cesky, but it is really lovely! I nearly got off at the wrong bus stop on my way here, but thankfully a friendly local stopped me. Czech people seem to always look really angry and scary, but most of them are really nice. Also, on the bus they played 'The Prestige' so I got to perv on Michael Caine for two hours! Anyway, back to Cesky...Only about 14, 000 people live in and around the village so it's very pleasant to stroll around and is not too touristy. It's by far the most picturesque town I've been to, more so than Bruges even, which I didn't think was possible.
The view from my hostel terrace...not too bad, eh?

I want a private slippery dip into a river at my house...
 
 
View from the top of the Castle Tower...
 I spent the day strolling around with an Aussie guy I met on the bus, Andy. We were staying at different hostels but Cesky Krumlov is so small we just kept running into each other. Today I went on a rafting pub crawl...as in me and 20 other travelers were put into rafts and sent down the river with no life jackets or supervision. We were simply told to be back by 8pm and not to die. It was fantastic! They have pubs all down the river, so we just stopped paddling whenever we wanted another beverage. Every few hundred meters we had to go down a man made rapid, and unfortunately I always seemed to be sitting in the wrong spot and ended up drenched! ...I also may or may not have fallen in...but it was due to my complete lack of coordination, nothing else! By the time we got back I couldn't feel half of my body (I'm not entirely convinced that I don't have hypothermia), but I met some amazing people and had a really great day.

Tomorrow I'm heading back to Prague. If I'd known that there was so much to do here I would have stayed longer...but I wont complain because on Tuesday I'm heading to Venice!!!

All my love to you all,

Courtney xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment