Thursday, September 23, 2010

Das Oktoberfest!

At the moment the hostel is playing 'Twist and Shout'. It makes me think of every Dendy party ever. For example:


WOOO!!!

                            

YEEEAAAHH!!!

etc.

Today I went to Octoberfest in the most ridiculously nice weather ever. The bluest skies you've ever seen. I have been told that the weather is on the verge of turning though. Honestly, all the better, As a red head I was brought up to be diligent sun screen-wise, and I'm damn sick of it! Bring on the cold!!! 

I don't know anyone in Munich, and the combination of that and the prospect of spending 10 euro for a litre of beer put me off for quite a time. However, last night I made friends with a couple of people at the hostel I'm staying and thought 'I'm paying a bomb to be here, might as well make the most of it.' The grounds of the festival are but a hop, skip and a jump from the hostel (not that that stopped me from getting lost on my way back) and we headed off into the heat for a couple of lunch time beers. Octoberfest, notorious reputation as it has, is actually quite family friendly. Much like the blessed folk festival it is all rides and pretzels during the day, only to (I assume) degenerate into Australians and the like getting pissed off their nuts as the sun sets. As we arrived at the hostel we were given wrist bands with the address and of the hostel and our room numbers on them. I suppose it's for the best. I can only assume that the rides are for the more sober crowd. They seem a bad idea for the drunkards. The beer is stronger than the average. I was there from 12-5 and experienced a friendly atmosphere with very good vibes. Meals that smell delicious are served, people walk around selling pretzels, pickles and radishes (yeah, I don't get it either) and everyone endeavours to get pleasantly drunk, if not more. A stein of beer costs between 8-9 euro, however, if you don't give the waitress 10 euro, she'll bugger off and find someone else who will. Blokes wear lederhosen and the ladies wear dirndl's. A pair of lederhosen will set you back a couple hundred euro but a knock off dirndl and blouse will usually cost a lady less than 70 euro. Unfortunately most Australians and Americans end up unwittingly buying theirs from sex shops in the assumption that the shorter the better. Oh dear. I'm told that if you tie the ribbon at the back you are widowed, the right you are taken and the left you are single. In Vienna Walter politely put it that dirndl's accentuate a ladies shoulders...Yeah... Shoulders...   

GIANT BEER!!!!
                      

Friend called 'horse.' Love the horse beanies. Check out that blue sky!!!

                                       
I wandered around the rest of Muncich a bit the day before and got to check out a few sights. Mostly lots of nice churches and parks and the like.



The fountain at Karlsplatz.

                             
When you start traveling it feels like to get your money's worth you're obliged to visit every museum and gallery possible, but after a while you start to realise that as long as you're having fun, it doesn't really matter what you're doing. Going to a market and getting some tasty food before heading to a sunny park is generally cheaper and more gratifying that the former. Not to mention less tourist riddled. Tomorrow I'm off to Venice. Very excited. Not only for the fact that it's Venice, but for the fact that it's about 50 euro cheaper a night. WOO!!

Love Bron xoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment