Sunday, September 26, 2010

Is this a face you'd like to wake up to?


No. Me neither.

I wont lie, when I got up and saw my face I burst into tears! I'm still not sure what happened, but I suspect mozzies were behind it. My room mate was a bit terrified. The receptionist told me to go straight to the hospital. The pharmacist laughed at me... It took two days but it's gone away now so all is well!

On to brighter things...

I have spent the past three days in Venice. It's been incredible. I was really looking forward to coming here, but was feeling a bit lonely when I arrived at my hostel to find NO ONE else here. It takes about 30 minutes to get from here to Venice proper (it costs an arm and a leg to actually stay in there), so people leave in the morning and don't come back til the evening. I was then prepared to dislike Venice because it hadn't given me a warm welcome.

I tried to remain upbeat though and hopped on the bus into town. When I got there I realised that I had no map, no guide book and no idea where to go. I went to the information point and asked where I would find shops. The woman laughed at me and said "Shops and restaurants in Venice are no problem. Pick a direction!" So I picked a direction and went walking. After about three hours of strolling along the canals I decided that I really did like Venice. It's gorgeous. I'm sure many of you have been here, so I wont go on too much about it...

I love the complete lack of street signs! The only way to get around Venice is to have a general idea of what direction you should be going in and follow the signs. There aren't street signs, but there are signs to the different districts - San Marco or Rialto for example. It's fun to walk around because even if you're walking to the same place you went yesterday, you always go down different streets and see new things. I spent a day in San Marco Piazza just chillin'. I ate a whole lot of gelati, had my first Italian coffee, went into the cathedral and went on a gondola.



Canal and pretty houses...

More canals and pretty houses...


...and again...



Gondola ride...

Fun fact: Venice floods all the time! Not fun for the locals, but I thought it was pretty cool. When the water comes up they put these boards out so you can walk without getting your feet wet. Nifty.




On my first night the girl in my room told me that you can do a day trip into Verona, so yesterday I did that. It takes about 2 hours on the regional train and my return ticket set me back a whole 12 euros. It was one of the best days that I have had on this trip, no joke. I just walked and climbed and ate gelati all day long. I didn't get to go into The Arena because it closed early for no apparent reason...but I did climb the Tower dei Lamberti, the views from the top were stunning! I also went to Juliet's house...a few months ago Kim and I started having Limelight Movie Night once a week. We would drive out to Tuggers and see the trashiest movie they had going. One week we saw Letters to Juliet...If you haven't seen it, don't! But if you have seen it, let me tell you, the scene where she goes to the house and the courtyard is full of teary young women is actually quite accurate. It was one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen...

...Love graffiti...


Juliet's balcony


Even prettier houses...

View from the tower

I climbed to the top of a massive hill and stumbled upon a castle! So cool! This was the view...
All in all I loved Venice and Verona, and I was sort of sad to leave the region...until I got to Florence two hours later. Then I was happy again! 

Love to you all,
Courtney <3

2 comments:

  1. I am sure it was mozzies...!!! You got in to a scragg fight over flavours of gelati, didn't you? Venice is amazing, so pretty and hilarious when you see the scary lean to some of the houses. Did you see the dead pigeons float to the surface when the Plaza flooded? Not so pretty. Don't think Marco would like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mathew you know me too well! You saw straight through my lies! Yes, it is true, a girl pushed in front of me in the gelati line and it turns out I'm not all that good in a fight... Ew, I saw a dead pigeon float to the surface, and then this biggish black bird started eating it! SO disgusting! xox

    ReplyDelete